First Bike?

Hey Zack:
I know this thread has been beaten and it sounds like you may have made
up your mind.  Just thought I'd throw out my 2cents since I had a Suzuki
Bandit for a couple years.

The B6 was my first bike - I got it before the 1200 was available in the
US.  While I owned the bike I was on the Bandit chat list - most had
1200's and loved them - very torquey like the ST.

You did not mention whether you were comfortable on the Bandit however,
my suggestion would be to try the 600 or the newer SV650 (2 cylinder).
The B6 was very easy to ride, comfortable, good all around bike,
comfortable for two up, mimimal plastic, extremely easy to work on.  I
did all necessary service myself after the break-in service.  Valves
were screw and locknut.  Never once had a mechanical problem, no leaks,
never dead battery, always started, cheap to buy even new.  Very little
torque especially down low which favors the new rider.  Rev limit at
12,000 if I remember correctly, so there is nice top end rush available
when experience warrents.

Having said all of this, the ST is a much better bike (twice the price
and then some) and I don't think you can go wrong with either.  As
others have said, what is going on between the ears is far more
important than the machine.

My best,
Greg