RE: First Bike?

Or just ask some of us listers who have been horizontal. My low-speed
right-side excurision cost ~$2,500.00 (US). It took out three right-side
body panels, the saddle bag, the right clip-on, both brake levers and the
silencer.

> Do you really want a Sprint ST as your first bike? NO, NO, NO! It has too
> much power and weight for a beginner and you will most likely be in over
> your head. Start with a used bike in the 400-600cc range and ride that for
> a year. Then you'll have a better idea of what you want for your
> next bike, and you won't cry nearly as much if you drop a bike you spent
$2K
> on versus $11K.

I'll second that. A Sprint ST makes just over 100BHP but that dosn't tell
the whole story. Unlike the 600cc screamers [1] that also make ~100BHP the
Sprint makes it's power the old-fashond way - 70+ ft-lbs of torque. Add that
to the hyperactive brakes, the 500+ lbs of fully-fueled weight and the high,
somewhat top-heavy seating position and you have a bike that can be a bit of
a chalenge even to an experenced rider.

If you really want an ST, work your way up to it. Get something a little
smaller [2] and less powerful like an old Radian or GS500E and ride that
regularly for a while. Keep it upright for six months and then you'll
probably be ready for the Sprint. Probably won't loose anything on the
smaller bike, either.

[1] Also not good beginner's bikes.

[2] Not too small though. One guy I know says he developed lots of bad
habits by riding a 250 too long.