Re: Grip Installation

Brian Wolfe <bwolfe@xxxxxxxxx> said:

> Could a helpful poster again give me the tips on installing? For some
> reason my manual didn't get delivered to me with the bike (dealer
> promising speedy delivery, hmmm....)so I don't even know if there's a
> trick to getting the bar ends off.

I think the bar ends are the same as the T5 ones (someone will
doubtless correct me if they're not) and the easiest way of dealing
with these is to undo the screw, then screw it back in three or four
turns and tap the screw head gently with a precision hammer. This
frees the conical wedge from the rear of the bar end and allows the
bar end to be removed (you'll see how it works when you get it off).

Removing the grips is easy enough - preferably remove the switchgear
first to get it out of the way, then push a thin screwdriver between
grip and bar and squirt WD40 into the resulting gap. Work round the
grip like this, then slide off. The throttle side is similar but
easiest done off the bike. You can, of course, just cut the grips
off...

The pro-gel grips have ends on them, so first cut these off with a
good sharp knife. Now reassemble the switchgear and throttle, then
squirt something (see below) into the grips and push them into place.
Tighten the bar end screws up until the cones are just about to start
expanding the bar ends, then put these back in place and tighten up.

Now then, squirty stuff. Others have used hairspray. I've used WD40
(which may seem silly, but it does stick - it's not a lubricant except
when the solvent's in it) on all five Triumphs with no problems.

- --
Mike Fleming