RE: New subscribers

Welcome to the list Steve,

>Hello, everyone.  Steve Smith, here.   Having been bitten by my nickname
>(Mr. Crash Happy) February last, I find myself looking for another

so does that mean you get to ride at the back of groups ? ;-)

>I came to this happy place to see how folks who owned the ST really felt
>about her.

It really is a happy place most of the time. There have been a few hiccups
along the way but nothing major and nothing that makes even the slightest
dent in the joy of ST ownership.

>I have been sufficiently impressed to place the Triumph on my short list,
>but not wholly convinced I should buy one.  Your kind input would be
>valuable to me.

We will attempt to relay our completely unbiased opinions to you in a clear
and concise fashion....

>The positives:  Use of current technology throughout.  Gorgeous bodywork.
>Comfortable yet sporting ergonomics.  Fabulously over-engineered engine.
>Available optional equipment.  Mystique of the marque.  I live in Fairfax
>County, Virginia and the dealership in Rockville, MD offers racing support
>services.

Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Cool- what type of services did they offer?

>The negatives:  Everyone who owned a pre-Hinckley Triumph will tell you

like someone else said - different time - different company. Only the names
were not changed ....

>about it (I was there, I know most of that stuff was crap).  Stories about
>mysterious electrical problems (shades *sic* of darkness by Lucas).

Been there - done that on the old bikes. Not anymore....

>than enthusiastic customer service from corporate headquarters.

Speaking only for Triumph USA, I can only say that they are improving every
day. They are still a small company with a lot of ground to cover and there
is bound to be some problems. If I remember correctly, they have all of 27
people to cover the entire US (that includes sales and support). Shaun
Sisterson who is the customer service rep for the whole country is doing a
great job and I truly believe that he is a very valuable asset to their
organization.

>  Long waits
>for parts and accessories.

We've experienced / are experiencing a few of these, but it is only due to
the "newness" of the ST. Once the accessory lines catch up with the initial
sales surge I know that this will not be a continuing problem. Plus Triumph
has initiated an online ordering system that has greatly improved delivery
time on parts and accessories.

>Does the EMU monitor for detonation?

I took a quick look and couldn't find it specifically outlined - it doesn't
mean that it doesn't - just that I didn't see it. I would assume a rise in
temp associated with a detonation problem, and the ECM will monitor and
display a fault code for that.

>The other bikes on my current short list are CBR900RR, X1 Lightning, VFR800,
>Hayabusa, and YZF R1 (I can dream can't I?).

Got to touch a Hayabusa a couple of weeks ago - I don't think I would have
the balls to push it to 200...

>Many thanks to Eric for yeoman work in maintaining and managing this list.

Maintaining yes - managing no - these guys (and gals) have minds of their
own - any attempts at management would be futile ;-)

- - Eric