Re: Whats Up with this?

Ken T. wrote
>Having recently switched over to the Triumph off- road silencer, I too have
>noticed some er, compromise of the available low (2.5-4,500 rpm) rpm
horses.
>It actually feels like it was too lean in this range to begin with and the
>pipe made it worse.  Are others experiencing this condition, or did my
dealer
>not load the appropriate tune or is it something else.  This should not be.
>The slight extra flow capabilities of this pipe should not have a
significant
>impact in this range, especially since this motor is mildly cammed to begin
>with.  What y'all think out there?

Well, I think you need to return to the dealer.

I have been in touch with a ST owner off list (yes there are still some
people that don't have email!) who has the carbon silencer. He did not find
any low RPM loss, and if anything, he estimates an increase of low end
power. After putting on the pipe he can, without any clutch popping, loft
the front end with his weight over the tank and he's no swimsuit model .....

The stock tune is the one installed to cover all the emissions and noise
ordinances that abound all over. Because of this, the tune is definitely
more restrictive than the one with the "off road racing" performance pipe.
With the performance pipe none of these restrictions apply (as it is being
used on a closed track environment only ...) so the tune can be setup to
obtain the optimum results. Also, most of the restrictions on the stock
pipe are done at the lower rpm's so when you remove the restrictions, this
is the area that you would see the biggest performance increase.

Of course, you also have to have the idle CO percentage reset as well. This
can only be done with the use of a gas analyzer - if it is set incorrectly
you can have all sorts of performance hiccups. The recommended setting is
around 1.5% (range of 1.3 - 1.7 %). The internal setting on the ECU is
merely a number to act as a reference point, and as such varies from bike
to bike (so your dealer isn't able to set it at some set number). When I
was setting up my 509 at 1.5%, my ECU read +28 where a friends registered
+2 for the same measurement. That's why it is so important for the dealer
to have access to a gas analyzer.

Hope this makes sense - if not, let me know and I'll ramble on a little more.

- - Eric