Re: Electrical System

At 02:22 PM 4/19/99 +1000, David J. Hughes wrote:

>I had a serious electrical fault about a week ago.  Rode her to work and
>after parking I noticed that the dash lights were on - but I had the key
>in my hand.  Further investigation showed that if I turned the bars, the
>park light would come on and dim at various points in the turn.  Turning
>the light's off on the dash made no impact on the little light on the
>nose.
>
>Took the main fuse out for the day and then rode her to a dealer that
>afteroon.  Turned out that one of the wires in the bundle coming up to the
>bars had worn through and was shorting all over the place.  They replace
>that bit of wire and all is now OK again (touch wood).

Known by cager wrenches as 'finding a ground'.  In most cars, everything
is wired hot, and then the control switches provide a path to ground for
the other pole.  Makes the wiring simpler, but if a wire wears through
and grounds to the chassis, things go on that shouldn't be on.

This doesn't sound like Lisa's problem, though.  She blew a fuse, which
would have to be on the high side.  Sounds like the hot wire to the
instruments could have worn through and found the ground though.  That'll
make fuses go away.

Lisa, inspect the wiring harness around the steering head.  Anywhere you
find insulation worn away, tape it up.  The metal wire takes a long time
to wear through: it'll still be OK.  Then reroute the wire, look for sharp
metal edges, etcetcetc. to avoid recurrence.

Rich Weyand      |  _______   ___,---. ---+_______:_   |Rich Weyand
Weyand Associates| |_N_&_W_| |_N_&_W_| |__|________|_  |TracTronics
Comm Consultants |  ooo ooo ~ ooo ooo ~ oOOOO- OOOO=o\ |Model RR Electronics
weyand@xxxxxxx   |     http://www.mcs.net/~weyand/     |weyand@xxxxxxx