fuel guage :^&*&*^&*:!

It was a 20C+ Sat. here in the Black Forest, with hundreds of bikes out (and a few ambulances!).
After 180km on the trip showing the fuel guage did its usual trick of dropping straight to the red; ignored it as usual, but then the fuel warning light came on.  Had to do a 20km detour to the nearest gas/petrol station, but only squeezed in 11.2 litres !!!!   That left 10l remaining (21 l tank).  If I cant trust the fuel warning light to come on with 4l remaining I am running out of things to try....
I might have to start carrying a dip stick; this is getting silly.

On the bolts front, mine were replaced on Friday; supplies at least in Germany are already available. From Eric's experience it sounds like its worth getting done soon.  On doing the swap the dealer managed to destoy the rubber cap for the alternator :(
Stilll waiting for boxes, sports pipe and news on the touring screens?
cheers
Jonathan