Motorrad Test

  My March isue of the BMW Rider's Association magazine had an interesting
story. It began by referring to the Cycle World comparo in which the
testers chose the Sprint over the VFR,ST4,and the BMW R1100S. Miffed that
anyone would choose*any*bike over a BMW, the author, in an attempt to
discredit the ST, then went on to quote a recent Motorrad article.
Motorrad,as part of their long term testing, tears the subject bike apart.
In this case, it was a "technically near-identical Triumph sibling". The
Motorrad testers crashed this bike early on in the testing, but they tore
it down for evaluation anyway. "What they found-CW take note-was a
seriously tired engine. One piston was scored,both inlet and outlet valves
were badly worn, and the two top gears were deeply notched by pitting.
Things were so seriously torched that Motorrad made repeated jokes about
the bike's "hot"properties."
 So, does anyone out there read German, particularly Motorrad? I'd like to
know which bike they tested and if there is another side to the story.
Also, if Triumph had a rebuttal.
  A little side irony here is that a recent trip to the Southwest on my new
99 BMW R1100RT with 1800 miles was seriously queered because of the time I
had to spend in a couple of BMW shops diagnosing and fixing what turned out
to be a defective(porous casting) left cylinder head.

Duner Tor
Bozeman MT