Clutch

Regarding the Sprint ST clutch, specifically the amount of effort
necessary to use it ...

The first review that I read in Motorrad (the leading German motorcycle
magazine)about the Sprint ST, severely criticized the bike on this
point. They stated that one could expect to have a sore wrist in
commuting as well as 'all day touring' situations.

They also criticized the lack of a handle/hole for putting the bike up
on the centerstand and the panniers. They did not like the fact that the
top of the panniers was not at the same level as the passenger seat
(hence making it less convenient if one were carrying a 'pack roll') nor
did they like the necessity of lowering the exhaust and installing a
plate (probably a heat shield) between exhaust and pannier. They thought
that if the top of the pannier was at the same level as the passenger
seat, it might not have been necessary to lower the exhaust at all.

Normally, I find Motorrad reviews 'on the money.' About a month later, I
went out and took a test ride and thought the clutch was no heavier than
on bikes that I have owned with hydraulic clutches.

A couple of months later, I took a ride on the very same Sprint ST
demonstrator and found the clutch to significantly heavier that I
earlier remembered.

This change in the amount of effort required makes me wonder if it isn't
a lubrication, binding or wear problem. I suspect the problem might be
in the L-shaped metal tube that comes off the back of the clutch level
that forces the cable to make a 90 degree turn.

I would like to hear owner opinions about this.

David
Yamaha GTS 1000 owner who has the Sprint ST on his 'next bike short
list'