Re: New Sprint

Eric Sheley wrote:

> At 04:42 PM 04/02/1999 -0500, Rick wrote:
> >Man, Im gonna be pissed if Triumph introduces a new Sprint in November that
> >has more/better colors available, lighter weight, the same motor, and for
> >less money as the rumor says...  They say it will have a cafe' fairing and
> >double sided swingarm.  I'm sure Triumph and/or aftermarket will create
> extra
> >fairing parts for those wanting them and a single sided swinger really
> oesn't
> >add anything (except weight) anyway.
>
> I think we can pretty much expect this bike at the end of the year or
> beginning of next year. From the different things I've seen on it
>
> - The engine will be the same
> - Will use the 600 double sided swingarm - because of this, there will not
> be a hard luggage offering
> - You can get it in any colour you want as long as it is yellow
> - Will have a half fairing like the old Sprint
> - Retail price about 800-1000 Brit Pounds less
>
> Of course all of this is pretty much is unsubstantiated rumor at the
> current time, but if these pieces of info are true, I will still opt for
> the ST. I really like the look of the single sided swingarm and would not
> want to give up the hard luggage option. Plus for the last 10 years or so,
> all my bikes have been half or no faired bikes - glad to have a full
> fairing again.
>
> I will be very happy however if there is a new ST Sport in the fall, as it
> means that Triumph is firmly behind the Sprint line.
>
> - Eric

   Eric,

     I agree with you wholeheartedly about your thoughts as to the
'possible' new Sprint. I like the idea of having another Sprint in the
line up and the increased support and validity it will bring to the
Sprint concept. Does a single sided swing arm really add more weight to
the bike overall? Isn't it just as much as having the double sided arm,
only in this case the weight is all on one side? I like having something
as 'trick' looking as a single sided s.a. As to the half or full
fairing.....I've always owned 'naked' standards and it's great having a
full fairing. Besides, isn't a bike with a half fairing creating
increased drag on the exposed motor and whatnot hanging out in the open?

   Open questions: Has anyone heard of a newly released battery that is
of a new design that weighs considerably less than a conventional
battery. It is supposed to be a 'wafer' style or something of the like.
Very compact and maintenance free. Also, has anyone heard of a fix for
the oversight of the ST having no helmet hooks? Seems that someone in
our group had an idea and then silence on the subject. Even the Trophy
has minimalist hooks under the lockable seat.

Bob M.